Re: What happened to the beloved alt.internet.search-engines?

  • Subject: Re: What happened to the beloved alt.internet.search-engines?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:40:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
  • References: <dk6m08$110q$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <3sp4djFomaa4U1@individual.net> <bo4fm15gvmi1jml79f0765t7jc5dgv3r3u@4ax.com> <4vlsm1d4al800k2h8hhq1he9dp0k4b6p46@4ax.com> <n66tm116nfq61r269il7g7fa0bl7krv37g@4ax.com> <livum1598ksbas4cgh81lns1cd6evgclu6@4ax.com> <h7t3n1hjgkkfcbdne2bk2fpka1qrd1sr6s@4ax.com> <bc95n1pr666bovtjqciq89kt8u8r04ajn3@4ax.com> <jo37n197ug5mgvrjji4ve2r88l5o35la7l@4ax.com> <u3f7n19lrjmggi6r31fmgu2iek6u4ma06i@4ax.com> <Xns970AD1DFFDFF4castleamber@130.133.1.4> <b8h8n1pn3jakabo3hue2891ucgtuu29kjg@4ax.com> <Xns970B1178CEA4Ecastleamber@130.133.1.4>
__/ [John Bokma] on Friday 11 November 2005 07:43 \__

> David <seodave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>The latter is bad. Worse if people do it because they archive the
>>>messages and SEO the titles :-(
>>
>> I guess I wasn't the only person to notice Roy changing titles more
>> often that I change socks for SEO reasons.
>
> Yeah, it's annoying, but I am to nice to complain too much about it, but
> while we're at it, also the \______ bla bla, and the compiling replies
> into one message. Maybe it's because I haven't seen this before, but one
> problem is that I might miss out replies to my message if a reply is
> added to a reply to you, for example. (Newsclient I use does smart
> things, well, now and then).

Sorry about that. Since you mentioned this, I will be more cautious from now
on. I just prefer to avoid short replies like Bill's, which take as much
time to read it it takes to open them.

>>>Recommended is to do:
>>>
>>>new title (was: old title).
>>
>> Pretty obvious at the time he was doing it so his pages had SEO'd
>> titles though.

No point in having messages with an inappropriate title. Bad for the user to
search for SEO advice and find a discussion on socks.

> Yup. Sometimes I do agree with a subject change, but not 10 new ones in
> a thread :-D.

If the change of subject lines is quite consistent and is refelected by many
consecutive messages, I thought it ought to be projected... again, thanks
for pointing that out. I'll try to avoid it.

>> <snip>
>>>
>>>That holds for quite a lot of meds, even paracetamol which is often
>>>claimed (yeah yeah) to be harmless (yeah, sure).
>>
>> You know acetaminophen is Paracetamol (Tylenol in the US)?
>

> No, I jumped just into the thread, and I only know it as paracetamol. I
> do know that some meds have 10-20 different names, sometimes very
> similar to non-related meds, to add to the confusion.
>
>> Because it's so dangerous you can't buy it in bulk in the UK anymore.
>>
>> Believe it or not there is a form of acetaminophen that's a lot less
>> harmful (possibly harmless, I forget the details) to the liver. If I
>> recall correctly it's a methylated version. It costs more to produce,
>> which is why it's not used. Pretty pathetic excuse when I can go into
>> ASDA and buy 16 basic Paracetamol tablets for less than 20p.
>
> Yup, but look at how much is sold, so a few p times a lot, is a lot of
> money.
>
> Yeah, I don't like it when people, like doctors, tell patients that meds
> are safe, harmless, you can't kill yourself with them. Paracetamol is
> very bad, because if one takes enough, it takes over a week to die, a
> very painful dead (so I've read).
>
>> The above works really well for headaches.
>
> I rarely have one, and when I do have one resting sometimes helps. If
> not, yeah, paracetamol.

I have no idea what path this thread has taken while I kept aside. *smile*

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
 11:30am  up 8 days  7:28,  5 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.46, 0.51