Re: SSH only from one computer

  • Subject: Re: SSH only from one computer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 06:18:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [houghi] on Sunday 09 October 2005 03:22 \__

> Tommy Martin wrote:
>> I have just installed Open Suse 10. So far it is very nice. I do have one
>> problem that I have never ran into though.
>>
>> I have ssh running. I can ssh in from my windows desktop using Putty just
>> fine.

Be sure to download the right version of PuTTY. I think it would not run
altogether if you downloaded the wrong one, but nonetheless it's worth
checking. I remember using an NT workstation some time in the past. I came
across that as an issue.

> I cannot however log in from my XP laptop using the same version of
>> putty. I keep getting "Access denied" errors.

Check Firewalls as already suggested.

Also, "Start..." -> "telnet" -> ENTER -> "open <IP ADDRESS/HOST NAME>"
(syntax may vary)

> I have checked the
>> hosts.allow and the hosts.deny file. I deleted my keys for putty and
>> reconnected. I am at a loss for what could cause this.

Try other methods of connectivity to know if you are denied access at
'SSH-level' or at network-level, as a matter of principle.

>> Any help is really appreciated.
>
> First be sure you do a connection to the same machine.
> do a `telnet machine 22` AND a `telnet 192.168.1.2 22` to see if you get
> the same results.
>
> Next open /etc/ssh/sshd_config as root and add the line `Protocol 2`
> just under the line #Protocol 2,1 and do `rcsshd restart`.
>
> Last but not least, check if ssh is accesible in your firewall.

ISP may also cause the problem. Port blocking is not very uncommon,
especially in an environment where encryption is frowned upon or feared.
Contrariwise, unencrypted X forwarding was recently banned over here.

> I have sshd running and tried from two different places without a
> problem. It could be that you have two networkcards and each machine
> comes in via an other route.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
  6:10am  up 44 days 18:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.43, 0.46