Re: Dell and Microsoft Kiss Under the Table?

__/ [lqualig@xxxxxxxxx] on Sunday 09 October 2005 16:10 \__

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/08/034211&tid=190&tid=137

>> Roy
>

> I suspect the reason for the lower price is that the windows machines
> are sold in mass quantity and the "Open PC" models are somewhat
> non-standard at the moment. Both manufacturing and support are
> different than usual for Dell so this might explain the price
> difference.

I don't buy your argument; sorry about that...

Toss hard-drive down the bin, bundle empty Maxtor hard-drive to package.
Now, was that _so_ hard? If the will is there, practical changes will
follow.

I guess that the folks at uk.comp.os.linux were right when they raised
skepticism with regards to this move by Microsoft's so-called Hardware
Department. They anticipated no change in terms of price.

Is it possible that Michael Dell's donations to RedHat were merely serving
the interest of promoting his Web servers? I continue to wonder. I also
wonder how much HP's Ubuntu desktops and laptops will cost. Their
marketshare is similar to that of Dell. Their ties with Ballmer et al.
appear less tight.

Speaking of Ununtu in the forefront...

http://nokia770.com/122

I don't know how reliable it is, but the Scandinavians are not inclined to
serve the Redmond agenda.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  6:10pm  up 45 days  6:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.36, 0.49