Gigantic-sized Referrer Spam

For the past week or two there has been a gradual increase in the amount of
referrer spam, hitting heavy pages specifically. I have re-directed all
such requests to 403.shtml, but I currently get nearly 10,000 page requests
that are spam every day. I checked the logs for IP addresses, but I can't
filter by IP blocks. It's too diverse. Have you got any tricks up your
sleeves? I know some tools that combat this, but they need console access
if not root access too.

In the mean time I can keep bandwidth at reasonable levels, but what if the
spam levels continue to rise?

Cheers,