Re: Google Reverse-Engineering?

__/ [John Bokma] on Thursday 13 October 2005 03:36 \__

>> __/ [John Bokma] on Wednesday 12 October 2005 17:32 \__

>>> It's not happening with my site. What I do is: fetch the PageRank of
>>> each page, calculate 8 to the power of PageRank, and add all up. The
>>> number is growing :-)
>>
>> Is that based on something you read?
>
> The PageRank is the result of applying a logarithmic function with base
> n on a number. People guess n to be somewhere around 7. I use 8, since
> one can calculate base 8 log easily with a computer, so a PageRank of 7
> means a figure around 8 ^ 7 (8 to the power of 7). But even if I use a
> different base, I see what I call the PageRank sum increasing: if I link
> from my PR7 home page to a new page, the page will get around PR5, often
> PR6. I don't see (yet) other pages linked from the homepage drop from,
> say, PR6 to PR4.
>
> I never understood the whole PageRank leak thingy, or at least not the
> version in which linking from a PRx page to n pages resulted in a PRx-1.
> I don't see this happen, but maybe my n is too low, I can imagine that
> if one takes n sufficiently big it does have an impact.

Interesting. Reverse engineering the Google algorithms is something with
potential.

>> If so, can you provide a link?
>
> Like with a lot of SEO findings in general, it's based on my own site :-
> D. I have a PageRank of 7 for quite some time, and even though I have
> been added links, and pages, it hasn't been leaked to zero yet :-)

It never should decline because there is a cyclic relationship wherein
getting more pages and higher PageRank leads to more of the same. Momentum,
however, is a crucial bit and also coping with change, e.g. CSS, dynamic
content, RSS feeds, Web applications...

> At least in my case more pages = more traffic, holds:
>
> avg/day  month
>  700     sept 2004
> 3818     sept 2005

If only these recent referral spammers were genuine visitors... I'd look at
nearly 5 figures daily.

> I hope to hit the 5000 by the end of the month. More visitors means also
> a higher probability of people linking back to you :-D.

Exactly. And again I stress the importance of momentum. With RSS feeds and
technologies, which I am sure many learn about in your pages, you need to
snatch those subscribers during that short period of hype. Likewise, you
need to get the links before your pages become out-of-date, old-fashioned
or at worse scenarios -- mirrored or plagiarised in principle.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"
  3:35am  up 48 days 15:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.54, 0.55