Re: What if Microsoft Pay Virus Writers

  • Subject: Re: What if Microsoft Pay Virus Writers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:11:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Madhusudan Singh] on Saturday 15 October 2005 04:25 \__

> mikek <"mikekcenter dash usenet at yahoo dot com dot au"> wrote:
>
>> What would happen if the AV companies started payin g hackers to write
>> virus for platform such as linux?
>
> You seriously think that a certain monopoly in north western US is not
> doing that already ?

There is an individual department assigned that very particular task
already, but the operation may be disguised. We may have all heard about
that department, which is commonly referred to as the Microsoft Open Source
Lab. The name sound benign, aye?

I think Madhusudan raised a very important point. Would you really refure to
believe that Microsoft pays a 'pittance' (READ: millions) to people who
discover flaws in Firefox and other popular applications that are
suseptible to damage via the network? This will get worse as OSS fear at
Redmond mounts. The shady past is there to suggest it.

In conclusion, it is likely that more effort is realistically put into
hacking Open Source than its commercial equivalents. With exposed source,
it is an even easier task.

As a pressing reminder, GNU will not pay under the table for hacking
Windows. On the contrary, I have seen Ballmer lick his lips in the past.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
  8:00am  up 50 days 20:14,  5 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.30, 0.31