Re: System sounds gone ???

  • Subject: Re: System sounds gone ???
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:46:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [evodawg] on Wednesday 19 October 2005 20:33 \__

> evodawg wrote:
>
>> I'm not getting any system sounds, went to KDE system config. and tested
>> sound and nothing. Using ALSA as audio device. I did do a security update
>> yesterday and wondering if this changed something.
>>
>> CD still plays fine. Video is playing fine.
>>
>> Scratching my head at this point.
>>
>> KDE 3.3
>> Mandrake 10.2  2005 LE
>>

>> Thanks for any help
>> Rich
>>

> wow that was cool ran alsaconf and it all came back good as new!!!!!

I  suspect  that  sound is managed at a separate level (module)  than  the
desktop  environment  (KDE). I had some problems similar to yours  in  the
past and changing a few settings under YaST resolved the issue.

As   sound   issues  tend  to  be  very  distro-specific,  at   least   in
nature/pattern,  you  may often find more people who know the answer in  a
newsgroup  that  is saturated with people using that same distro. I  speak
from  experience here... what you think is very odd might be a trivial fix
among the minds of the users over there.

Best Regards,