Re: Windows Headed for Its Death

  • Subject: Re: Windows Headed for Its Death
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:48:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [The Ghost In The Machine] on Thursday 20 October 2005 16:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 20 Oct 2005 07:04:15 +0100
> <dj7c57$27p3$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>===
>> NOTE: In the log, I included 10 links to support every single argument
>> I  make here, so before a wintroll squeezes his head through the XP  fire-
>> wall  and blurts out some junk, I suggest you look at the clear  evidence.
>>===
>
> Erm...if you're using some sort of blog-to-Usenet gateway, the
> links got lost in the shuffle....

I preferred to avoid shameless self-promotion which includes link(s) to a
personal site. Since you want these links and so did DFS (a renowned
wintroll): http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/10/20/windows-now/

All the evidence is there. Just follow the links, which ultimately lead to
items from mainstream media or high authorities.

>> WINDOWS  Vista  was already said to be a trainwreck,
>> primarily due to  its inability  to deliver something
>> innovative. It gives no compelling  reason whatsoever
>> for users to upgrade. People who have had the chance
>> to fiddle with  the Vista beta build can confirm this.
>> In fact, it seems to be  lagging  behind  other operating
>> systems, notably Mac OS X as was  previously confesses by
>> a Microsoft evangelist.
>
> This is true enough, though I for one suspect that many
> people will get it anyway, either because they explicitly
> ask for it, or because it is installed by default.  Sigh.
> Same old shit.

Not for long though. The big question remains: /when/ will the tide change
dramatically to knock Windows off its socks? HP are already starting to ship
Linux, *cough* Dell *cough* sell an Open PC, and SuSE are expanding in the
enterprise.

> Still, the market shows signs of waking up and at least
> rubbing the sleep out of their eyes, at least for
> the sophisticated computer systems.

Sooner or later, with more automation in place, only sophisticated computer
systems and administrators survive and are able to teach (or force) the
world what systems out to be used. You can see the signs already... I know
/I/ can. Example: is anybody still using anything other than Google for
search? Also to consider: maps, mail, Firefox ties, RSS reader...

>> On  top  of it all, hardware requirements of Windows
>> Vista make it  rather unappealing. Novell have said
>> that Vista will drive away Windows users and ultimately
>> lead  them to Linux. To many, adopting Windows Vista
>> probably means acquisition of a new computer, which
>> will most probably contain Windows  pre-installed for
>> a variety of reasons that involve anti-fair  trade practices.
>
> Plus it's more convenient for the OEM; they can image it and
> then slap on thousands of copies.  Of course, those copies
> require the eventual user to enter a license key later, but
> those keys can be autogenerated, presumably from Microsoft.
>
> With Linux, one can also slap on thousands of copies -- and
> no key needed, except perhaps for vendor support.

There are no such issues. The computer are not custom-built to go
hand-in-hand with Linux. They are identical in terms of hardware and are
/not/ supported by the vendor.

>> Windows  XP was first introduced to the public in late
>> 2001 and, as we approach  the  end of 2005, Windows XP
>> is worse than ever before.  The  many critical  patches,
>> which came in the form of Service Pack I & II have made
>> it  slower and less likely to interact with all
>> underlying modules  gracefully.  With more Windows viruses
>> in the wild, it requires more  attention and  maintenance
>> than before, which has definitely led to unrest among its
>> users community. In the mean time, Apple?s Tiger has been
>> gaining strength and has even surpassed, in term of it
>> functionality, the Microsoft equivalents  --  something
>> that even Microsoft could not truly deny.
>
> Tiger does look like it's at least usable.  I'll admit I'm
> not that familiar with it apart from the occasional screenshot,
> which makes it look like somebody dropped colored gelcaps on
> the display screen.  It's an improvement over what that
> search pooch drops, though. ;-)

Tiger is a visual thing and some indexing on top of it (or below it rather).
It doesn't excite me much when I use it unless I do a demo or want to brag
about what a particular thing /looks/ like, not what it /does/.

>> KDE, in  the mean time, has been growing very rapidly and
>> it is now comparable with any other  desktop layers and
>> often surpasses the competition in terms of  its
>> functionality. See, for instance:
>>
>> * KDE Plasma
>> * State-of-the-art Linux Screenshots
>> * Next Generation of X
>
> Me, I'm a Gnome fan, but that's what choice is for. :-)

I use Gnome on 2 computers (Ubuntu) and KDE on one. I prefer KDE because of
the eye candy primarily.

>> It is also worth mentioning Ubuntu Linux, which has
>> done tremendously well at  easing  a transition to a
>> free operating system. Hewlett Packard  have recently
>> started selling Ubuntu desktops and laptops, as a matter
>> of fact.  Ubuntu comes in just a single CD, its hardware
>> detection is admirable, and moreover it is stable and
>> user-friendly. Its bundled Live CD makes another big pro
>> as users who are too resistant to delete Windows can have
>> a period of  adaptation  and gain some re-assurance with
>> regards to their  platform migration.
>>

> I can't say I've tried Ubuntu.  I'm a Gentoo penguin. :-)

Tough choice. You can either get a nice shiny car or a large container with
all the parts to assemble yourself. *wink* Decisions, decisions...

Roy

PS - Open Office 2 has just been officially released!