Re: Digital cameras and linux

  • Subject: Re: Digital cameras and linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:22:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
__/ [Beck] on Thursday 20 October 2005 20:24 \__

> Running Ubuntu Breezy Badger.
>
> After some of you so kindly helped with my wireless connection I thought
> I would ask something else if you can help please.
>
> I have a Fujifilm S5500 digital camera. Upon plugging in the camera
> (usb) ubuntu recognises it by placing a fujifilm drive in the drive
> manager.  Thing is I am not sure what to do with it to open it. It says
> "cannot open as it is an unmountable drive".

Digital  cameras are hard to cope with. That's what people tell me and  it
is  also  something I have learned from experience. They often  come  with
Windows drivers and chasing Linux equivalents is a time-burner.

When  I bind my digi/webcam for Ubuntu to have it recognised, it comes  up
with  a prompt that wishes to export the images. However, it cannot inter-
pret the filesystem, which apparently does not conform with anything Ubun-
tu  has  awareness of. Having said that, I had better  luck  communicating
with  that  same camera and fetching photos when I tried Mandrake 9.2.  It
wasn't  a  good enough distro though, not when compared with what else  is
out there nowadays.

If  you have another Linux box somewhere (e.g. at work), see if it is more
kind  to your camera. Also try some Web searches. It sounds as if you have
a  common model, unlike my cheap, merely unbranded camera that comes  from
an obscure Chinese manufacturer.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
  3:15am  up 56 days 15:29,  4 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.47, 0.65