Re: Creating a search on my site

__/ [Paul Morrison] on Thursday 20 October 2005 18:02 \__

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to have a search option on my site, but am not sure how to go
> about it. I would like to have the option of searching the site for
> keywords, and also a web wide search. I have looked at the Google version
> of this, but I would rather have the results opened in my site, rather than
> being redirected to Google.
>
> If anyone has any ideas as to the way I should go about this, it would be
> much appreciated.

I'd use htdig or phpdig. They are not too good at getting word density,
proximity and context right, but they are at least within your control.

__/ [Paul Morrison] on Thursday 20 October 2005 19:43 \__

>> Write a script (I use PHP) to fetch the results from the google page eg.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/u/queenmary?q=rubber
>>
>> then webscrape the results bit and pull it into your page.
>
> Wow, thats exactly what Im looking for! I dont suppose youd be able to give
> me a link or some information so that I can find out about how to do this?

If you are relying on Google referrals, I strongly urge you not to go down
that route.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
  3:05am  up 56 days 15:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.58, 0.75