Re: First Steps in Linux Installation

  • Subject: Re: First Steps in Linux Installation
  • From: John Beardmore <wookie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:53:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.os.linux.setup
In message <diu8f4$1asn$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

Good luck with the rest of the adaptation process. Installation of Linux can
in fact be much simpler than that of Windows.

Key word is "can".

Nobody can dispute that it "can".

A deceiving factor is often
the experience people have accumulated installing Win16/32 ever since
version 3 came out.

Same is true in the Linux camp.

With Linux, not only will a working desktop be up within half an hour or
less (varies depending on distro and machine), but also you will not need
to install much software therafter, if ever.

Hmmm... Reason I still stick with windows as my desktop is lack of equivalents for the Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker, InDesign etc software.

Much of the software that I use was already in the core and is far beyond
satisfactory. Would you ever consider notepad.exe for writing some C/C++
code?

On the other hand, what's the Linux equivalent of .Net in Linux world ?
Not that I'm a fan of .Net - I've never bothered to upgrade from MSVS 6, but equally, it's never seemed worth getting into the Linux development tools from a productivity point of view.

Cheers, J/. -- John Beardmore