Re: Script to Read Windows Directory

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>__/ [Buck Turgidson] on Saturday 22 October 2005 14:58 \__

>> I have some mp3 files in a windows directory that I want to back up with a
>> mail command.  However, it appears that, due to spaces in the windows file
>> names, it gets garbled.

That has always been one of the idiocies of Windows (which some writers in
Linux are picking up) It causes problems in Windows as well, since space is
the command separator everywhere.

>> Is there a way to either get it to accept the name, or strip the spaces out
>> of it?
>>
>> Here is the script and the output.

Well, you could redefine what is meant by whitespace, and then use tabs to
separate words in the command.
Or you could do it by something like

cd /windows/C/music
for mp3file in *
do
echo "Backup" | mail -s "$mp3file" -a "$mp3file" buck01@xxxxxxxxx
done

or

find /windows/C/music -exec mail -s "\{\}" -s "\{\}" buck01@xxxxxxxxx \;
Why in the world you would back something up by mailing it I have no idea.
And mailing that same thing time after time as well.