Re: PIII to Celeron

  • Subject: Re: PIII to Celeron
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:26:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.gentoo
__/ [Christian Fuß] on Wednesday 26 October 2005 01:06 \__

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:54:53 +0200, Jafar As-Sadiq Calley wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of moving the server over from a PIII 600mhz laptop to a nice
>> desktop machine with a Celeron 2Ghz.

You do of course realise that these are the specs of the machine where you
will have an account created shortly *smile*. I will remove the SSH firewall
later today and set up an account for you. If you want to run a server,
that's no problem with me. I will, however, have the pressure to keep a
decent uptime. *smirk*

>> Will the PIII compiled code work on the (p4 based I think) Celeron?
>> If not, can I copy the system over and re-emerge the whole system again?
>> Thanks for any suggestions
>
> It will work, but not with the whole performance....
>
> There are 2 Ways what i wanna do :
>
> 1.  Copy the Config Files ( from the Window Manager, ETC, world file, etc
> ) and then do a new Gentoo Install with THIS Backuped Config Files ( and
> use the old world file to knows what programs you need to emerge. ( This
> iy my Fav Way :) )
>
> 2. Change the CPU, and Reemerge the whole System.

Sometimes it pays off (time-wise) to re-build everything from scratch. There
are too many misunderstood issues with migration of binaries, albeit they
can take time to re-surface.

Roy S. Schestowitz
 11:20am  up 61 days 21:29,  5 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.32, 0.31