Re: WYSIWYG Online Editor

  • Subject: Re: WYSIWYG Online Editor
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:18:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Steve Sobol] on Wednesday 26 October 2005 15:42 \__

> Richard Grove wrote:
>> You opinions please.
>> I am considering implementing a WYSIWYG editor into our system so
>> complete no knowledge users can create HTML files in a WYSIWYG enviroment.
>> It needs to be able to open, edit and save html files to a specific
>> directory and must be usable in all browsers and OS's.
>>
>> Which would be better in your opinion, Java or Flash?
>
> For widest compatibility, neither. I'd suggest
> http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/ as it seems to be the fastest, and is full of
> features. Requires Javascript and (probably) a DOM-capable browser, but
> that's it.

I heard good things about tinymce, which was said to produce top-notch HTML
code (let us pretend at least). In fact, WordPress 1.6 will include it at
the core.

* http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/07/dangers-of-abstraction/

I personally installed HTMLArea on my domain for a friend to use (long before
I heard about tinymce), but it is no longer needed.

* http://www.dynarch.com/projects/htmlarea/
* http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/03/02/web-based-html-editors/

It is nonetheless a good start, I must point out. It requires just a little
beyond JavaScript if I recall correctly.