Re: YOU Broke KDE

__/ [Roy Schestowitz] on Thursday 27 October 2005 06:22 \__

> I recently installed SuSE 9.3 on a new machine. After doing a comprehensive
> YaST Online Update, KDE seems to have been broken. In SuSE's defence, I did
> take a few risks and ignored potential system inconsistencies. Now,
> whenever I log in, I believe I am put in TWM (if I recall correctly) and I
> can open xterm and 'startkde'. I see some errors generated and KDE is then
> badly embedded in TWM. I can handle that KDE session, but it is badly
> fragmented. Is there any way out of this mess?
>
> Roy

Thanks for your kind help. The problem is now solved.

The solution is described here:

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/kdm/quickstart.html

<snip>

   1.

      Create or open the file ~/.xinitrc

      If you already have a working ~/.xinitrc, go to the next step
   2.

      If one does not already exist, add a line to the ~/.xinitrc to start
your preferred window manager or desktop environment.

      For KDE you should enter:

startkde

      For other window managers or desktop environments, you should look in
their documentation for the correct command.
   3.

      Make a link as follows:

ln -s ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession

</snip>