Re: Linux PDAs

__/ [Alec Ross] on Friday 28 October 2005 09:50 \__

> Can anyone offer advice on these?  I'm interested in:
>
>              - general / specific advice
>              - comments on the installation and use of alternative
> distributions
>              - comments on toolsets (gcc + ...?) hosted on the PDA, and
> also
>                cross-compiling
>              - comments on the possibility porting in a widget set
>                (ideally wxWidgets)
>
> Advice on any/all of these would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA

First of all, a few links:

* http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8728350077.html
                     (overview)

* http://www.archos.com/products/overview/pma_400.html
                     (expensive)

* http://www.powerplaydevices.com/products/ppvs_info.html
                     (dirt-cheap, North America only though)

Don't miss out the item which was published in Slashdot just /minutes/ ago:

*
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/28/0554245&tid=215&tid=100&tid=106&tid=137

Also look up the Debian-based Nokia 770:

* http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/770

Regarding your questions:

- Go with Palm or the Zaurus if you seek good support, community and tools. I
am assuming, however, that you want to compile Linux on the PDA itself.

-The Palm Tungsten E might work with Linux:

* http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=131049

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
 11:55am  up 63 days 21:10,  5 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.43, 0.52