Re: Web page access

__/ [Michael Vilain] on Monday 31 October 2005 00:34 \__

> In article <uAb9f.3665$zT6.1312@trnddc06>,
>  "Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann" <geode@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have a home page with Verizon. Within this home page I have several
>> sub-directories with their own associated pages. One of these
>> subdirectories has personal contact information and I wish to restrict
>> access to these pages to everyone except a few individuals. Is there a way
>> to add a password to a subdirectory so that anyone trying to access these
>> pages will have to input the correct password in order to view them?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> That depends on the web server Verizon is using and the configuration
> they're running.  I know with Comcast, when I ask such questions, I was
> told to go to a web hosting company.  Comcast doesn't support such
> things nor can I run CGI scripts or php or mysql.
>
> Ask Verizon support if they have .htpass files enabled or you could just
> create one and see if it has any affect, but it requires knowledge of
> the Apache web server.  Don't be surprised if it doesn't work or you
> told you're out of luck.

By wishing to password-restrict content, you begin to ask for a fully-fea-
tured hosting service that comes with the risk of collpase (=support=cost)
and abuse.

Some  time ago, before I had access that was beyond FTP (i.e. file manage-
ment), I used the following trick.

http://schestowitz.com/res.htm

Press  "research  workspace" (now crossed out). A window will pop up,  re-
quiring  you to enter a password, which is in fact the missing segment  of
the Web address. This will not avoid spyware like Alexa/A9/Amazon toolbars
(among  more) from crawling your password-protected pages, but it will  at
least turn away human users who ought to remain outside. To understand how
this  works  (essentially JavaScript), look at the source, change  it  and
save it. It's known as JavaScript Gatekeeper if I recall correctly.

Hope it helps,