Re: Operating Systems as Vegetables (Foremrly "Why DFS types are screwing the world...")

  • Subject: Re: Operating Systems as Vegetables (Foremrly "Why DFS types are screwing the world...")
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:42:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [amosf] on Monday 31 October 2005 01:33 \__

Okay, interesting analogy involving operating systems...

> It's the glass half empty attitude. Just watching some video on lettuce
> growing. It can be grown essentially pesticide free for arround the same
> price (not talking organics here, just low and carefull pesticide use to
> minimise the killing of 'good bugs') but people like DFS won't allow it.

Fair trade (READ: convenient to /us/) comes to mind. How can coffee or sugar
be made in Europe, which will also be cheaper and batter than the one from
south America or Africa?

> They won't buy that lettuce with a spot or two.

What spot? Have you used Jaguar/Tiger/KDE lately? The spots are in
Windows.... ahhh... I mean, in the 'expensive lettuce'.

> Nope, it has to look
> perfect. It doesn't matter that the nice looking one is covered in poison
> while the ones with the occassional tiny spot are mostly clean. The main
> thing is that it looks good, even if it will screw you in the end...

When you say "looks", you must equate that to "reputations" (not visuals) or
else it's deceiving. Windows has /reputation/ among the majority of people,
who are often less technically-inclined, so tend to go by word-of-mouth and
advertisements (the 'noise factor'). Some are still considering Windows to
be reliable, maybe because they just use Outlook, surf msn.com and are used
as a zombie the remainder of their on-line time.

I can assure you that the Windows filesystems are chaotic. I once tried to
maintain 150,000 or so files on it. It was a nightmare. Files kept breaking
in the FAT and their were undeclared, unexpected bottlenecks. The O/S
refused to boot at times and whenever something went wrong it was impossible
to fix.

Even Robert Scoble, the so-called Microsoft evangelist, has moved his popular
blog to a Linux server. I asked him about it this morning and here is his
poor excuse, which he E-mailed me back:

===

[Me:]

You are of course aware that you run your blog on Linux while
evangelising Windows. Hypocrisy?

Roy

[Scoble:]

No.

An evangelist must be credible if he wants to be listened to.

The only way to be credible is to actually use other methodologies and
products.

You must have evangelism confused with marketing. The two are not the
same.

Robert Scoble

===

So, rather than mock that (potentially temporary) choice to migrate his
6-year-old blog to Linux, he seems to defend that choice. No complaints, no
quirks. I wish Scoble the best of luck in his experiences with almighty
Linux servers. His consciousness will sooner or later leads Scoble to
betraying his employer.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
 10:25am  up 66 days 16:14,  4 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.17, 0.23