PHP Warnings when edited

I am struggling to understand why I have warning raised by the CMS
(WordPress) when I take the fully working function below:

=== code ===
function comments_rss_link($link_text='Comments RSS', $commentsrssfilename =
'wp-commentsrss2.php') {
        $url = comments_rss($commentsrssfilename);
        echo "<a href='$url'>$link_text</a>";
}
=== /code ===

and simply add rel='nofollow' to the link. Once changed, I look at the
resulting source, which indicates that the function generated the desired
code. However, PHP raises the following type of errors: (triggered by many
different functions)

=== code ===
PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
(output started at
/home/schestow/public_html/Weblog/wp-includes/template-functions-comment.php:301)
in /home/schestow/public_html/Weblog/wp-rss.php
=== /code ===

I have been having similar problems for almost a year. In fact, whenever I
change PHP files I appear to break something. Even more strangely, changing
the code back to its old state wouldn't do. I need to upload the original
file -- that is -- before it ever got edited in order to stop the warnings.
Any ideas as to why?

Thanks in advance,