Re: Noise determination

__/ [pravesh.subramanian@xxxxxxxxx] on Thursday 01 September 2005 17:33 \__

> Hello group,
> This is my first message. I have MRI Images and want to do
> inhomogeneity correction on them.
> How can I:
> 1. determine the noise in the images using Histogram?

A histogram might help in detecting salt-and-pepper noise in the case of MRI
images. It is not, however, a robust method for solving such a task. I
suspect that the dark background and the light ventricles might pose a
problem. Consider using localised histograms, i.e. histograms which treat
smaller portions of the images in question.

> 2. perform gaussian smoothing on the image? can anyone give me the
> function for a gaussian kernel?

Which programming language?

> 3. normalize this image?

Ditto. There are some MATLAB implementations in MATLAB Central and VXL <
http://vxl.sourceforge.net/ > provides C/C++ equivalents.

> Thanks in advance for the help!
>
> Pravs

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
  5:40pm  up 8 days  8:11,  3 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.27, 0.29