Re: Palm Desktop 4.2.1

__/ [Harold] on Thursday 01 September 2005 19:44 \__

> "Harold" <harold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> __/ [john] on Thursday 01 September 2005 18:01 \__

>>> Interestingly, the corresponding Mac version appears to have something
>>> extra:
>>>
>>> http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/macdesk421.html
>>>
>>> I wonder if the extra one indicates a fix, which the third digit often
>>> is reserved for.
>>>
>>> No Linux support yet... I am stumped... I heard that PalmSource (Palm)
>>> work
>>> on development tools for Linux... why not Palm Desktop too? *frown*
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>
>>> --
>>> Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
>>> http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    |     PGP-Key: 74572E8E
>>>  6:25pm  up 8 days  8:56,  4 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.40, 0.47
>>
>> I read the web site but am none the wiser: please, what are the benefits
>> of 4.2 compared to 4.1? I'm using an m515 on Win XP Pro.
>>
>> --
>> Harold Fuchs
>> Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
>>

> Whoops. Missed a significant fact; not recommended for the older Palms.

Harold,

They usually add some extra features. Ideally, an update of the Desktop
would require an update of the O/S that is embedded in your handheld. In
reality, many inconsistencies may arise so a new unit has to be purchased.

If/when used on the Desktop-side and full abilities get exploited (e.g. Date
Book categories), they can really $#!& data on the handheld because the
outdated Palm OS version fails to understand and gets confused.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
  5:42am  up 8 days 18:50,  4 users,  load average: 1.39, 1.00, 0.65