Re: (OT) Re: How to Improve this Newsgroup

Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Roy
Schestowitz of alt.www.webmaster make plain:

> The traffic of this group as a whole is largely dominated by that
> though. This is not a bad thing, but to some it /may/ be harder to
> take.

And for some, easier.

> There is a chicken-and-egg situation here. Like I said, when passing
> by alt.www.webmaster I have a slightly negative connotation so I am
> less likely to read and hence contribute.

I certainly don't have any numbers to back this up, but I suspect that
for most people, it's the opposite. I'm much more likely to get and
remain involved in a group that has somewhat of a community feel than a
hardcore technical group.

> So do I. I posted because I cared. I have been here for about 6
> months, I know all the regulars and maybe I was wishing for somebody
> to approve at least some fragments of my message.

I agree about not feeding trolls, though it is occasionally fun to poke
them with a stick.

--
Alan Little
Phorm PHP Form Processor