Re: problems with installation of 4.2.1 (Mac)

__/ [Sandy Foster] on Friday 02 September 2005 21:07 \__

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm?info/apis/chmod.ht

>> I propose that you open a terminal/console (terminilogy varies) and then
>> navigate to you Palm Desktop directory, e.g.:
>>

>> === code ===
>>
>> cd PalmDesktop
>>
>> chmod a+w -R
>>
>>   % Which means that you grant writing permissions to the files
>>   recursively.
>>
>> === /code ===
>>

>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>

> Thanks for the reply, Roy. While waiting for another answer from Palm
> tech support or from this list, I tried *one last time* to reinstall the
> new desktop, this time from my own account. And this time, for some
> unfathomable reason, the installation and the ability to hot sync went
> fine! :) I did lose a couple of entries in HandyShopper, but nothing I
> can't recreate. Whew! It's a good thing that worked, though, because I'd
> neglected to mention that I'm using Panther, rather than Tiger, and that
> I'm totally unfamiliar with fiddling in terminal. :S
>
> Thanks again!

This could be done in Panther as well. I am very glad to hear that you
solved it the 'easy way'.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - A thread on the topic has just come up in the British Mac newsgroup. I
pointed out this thread to them... only as a warning sign. Your report may
assist others.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
  8:30am  up 9 days 20:41,  3 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.36, 0.36