Re: Dabs Linux Box

__/ [ac] on Tuesday 06 September 2005 17:54 \__

> chris wrote:
> [...]
>> Just to stick my oar in. I personally would stick with a debian-based
>> distro (e.g. Ubuntu) as I've had very virtually no issues with my
>> several Mepis installations and updates are a breeze with apt-get. At
>> work we use Suse and 9.3 has caused more than a few problems with us.
>> IMO Yast is too fussy.
>> Chris.
>
> interesting, thanks. I will be trying kubuntu later, when time allows. I
> also keep in mind that since Novell have made suse 'open' now, and yast
> is already open source, that there might be a natural evolution or
> merging somehow, of yast etc towards a less picky approach maybe.

The idea of combining the rock-solid Ubuntu with KDE has always been
appealing to me.

Looking at:

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=326&slide=2

I see very little difference when compared to SuSE. In fact, most KDE-based
distros are said to be essentially the same; only the desktop picture
varies. Then again, in (K)Ubuntu, applications get assigned meaningful
names like "Music Player" and "Web Browser", which is great for newbies.

Kubuntu cons: Y(aST)OU, number of applications, future prospects, size of
userbase/community etc.