Re: Bloated E-mail

  • Subject: Re: Bloated E-mail
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 06:13:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [Jonathan N. Little] on Tuesday 06 September 2005 14:42 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> <snip>
>> My guess is that your mail client -- the one that you happen to test the
>> message under -- prevents images from being displayed. Older versions of
>> MS-homebred applications are the exception as they have a poor notion of
>> security. Reference to remote images is a common characterstic of spam,
>> whereby your IP address leaks to the Web, informing the spammer where you
>> are and whether your E-mail account is alive.
>>
>> If you are not sure whether the above is the cause for your woe, have a
>> thorough look at your mail client's settings. Additionally, you can test
>> your HTML-formatted E-mail[1] by making it a Web page and testing it in
>> your Web browser.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> [1] Personally I despise HTML-formatted E-mails, but different strokes
>> [for
>> different folks.
>>

> Most email clients will try to embed the images even if the source is
> online. They create a multi-part message, download and attach the image
> and then change your 'src' reference in your html formatted email to
> point to the attachment. Tested on various email clients. The only way I
> had success in creating an email with a linked online resource is via
> server script to generate the email.
>
> That said, email *is not* really suited for conveying large data. A
> moderate size image 200 or 300Kb can really bog down a mail server.
> Dialup email download can be reduced to a crawl. As an artist I have to
> send good size images to clients. I upload them to a temp folder on my
> website and send them a link in a email. Of course I have had some folks
> try to send 8x10 24 or 42-bit 600 DPI uncompressed images to me.

I find it frustrating when setting up computers for University staff who use
dial-up. When receiving their mail it often turns out to be a time-cosuming
process as they send each other MSWord attachments and other types of
bloated presentations. Needless to mention, I stop the testing process and
tell them to get it finished at home.

My colleagues sometimes send me ~5 MB PDF 's(yes, no notion of compression,
even for vector graphics). It gets worse when they send progressive
revisions of a paper, which means I can get a dozen of these, totalling at
60 MB on my hard-drive.

> The
> record was 21MB email. I was *not* pleased!

At least you could 'absorb' that. I set my quota to 20MB, which is more than
enough and more than I ever wish to or expect to receive.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
  6:05am  up 13 days 13:22,  4 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.44, 0.49