Re: Suggest a challenging research idea

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

I agree and would also like to add that your relationship with the
supervisor is crucial. Choosing a project that was not sparked by his
'infinite intellect' might later cause friction or allow the supervisor to
blame the unwanted (from his/her point-of-view) project.

I would go even further. The choice of supervisor is crucial. This is the most important decision a PhD student makes, and is much more important than the choice of project. Sadly, it is usually the decision that the PhD student either cannot or does not spend any time over.

Roy's comment about 'infinite intellect' is a
reference to the god like powers of PhD advisors.
You will be expected to agree with anything they
say.  I know one advisor who insisted that his
student not eat peas a certain way;  failure to
comply so would have ended the PhD.

Investigate your potential advisor thoughly.
Talk to their existing students and, even better,
their former students.  Ask students in the
department with different advisors what they have
heard about your potential advisor.

--
Regards,
Martin Leese