Re: program to retrieve posts in a newsgroup by author into one txt file

__/ [Blinky the Shark] on Friday 09 September 2005 07:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Nospam] on Friday 09 September 2005 04:02 \__
>>
>>> is there a program that can retrieve all the posts of a particular
>>> author into one text file?
>>
>> I can do this with KNode. You can quickly hit F4, put in a partial
>> sender's name, hit enter, then export the results in MBOX format, which
>> is raw text with all the message headers in tact.
>
> Hmmmmmm.  <playing with this>
>
> I can do the search, but I see no export function.  I see a message
> save function under Edit; and I see it on a rightclick on the message
> body.  But I see no way to do this except individually, file by file,
> as text files -- no way to combine them into an MBOX file.
>
> Knode 0.7.2.

KNode 0.7.2 over here as well. I can recall that you were on a version of
KDE 3.1, which lacked some menu items which I had listed.

* Create a new subfolder under Local Folders, for example 'ToSave'

* Having got all the messages you wish to save /highlighted/, drag them to
'ToSave'

* Go to 'ToSave'

* Folder -> Export as MBox Folder

* Choose location and confirm

__/ [Mark Parnell] added on Friday 09 September 2005 07:51 \__

> Previously in alt.www.webmaster, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
>> I can do this with KNode. You can quickly hit F4, put in a partial
>> sender's name, hit enter, then export the results in MBOX format, which
>> is raw text with all the message headers in tact.
>
> Well what do you know? I can do that in my newsreader too (though the
> filtering is slightly different). Can export as mbox or txt. :-)

MBox can be easily imported into most mail clients. This helps in keeping
organised. *smile*

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  9:25am  up 15 days 11:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.62, 0.68