Re: Blog spam and message length

  • Subject: Re: Blog spam and message length
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:10:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [John Bokma] on Saturday 17 September 2005 03:42 \__

> "KarlCore" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> John Bokma wrote:
>>> Your message 'Very interesting blog!' is too short, please try again
>>> Your message 'Realy good site!' is too short, please try again
>>> Your message 'Your site is realy very interesting!' is too short,
>>> please try again
>>> Your message 'Very nice site!' is too short, please try again
>>>
>>> So, yeah, for now my little trick does seem to reduce blog spam. The
>>> next step will probably be comments of a "normal" length.
>>>

>> You may want to instead work on a blacklist of banned phrases
>
> I think that everything less then 40 characters in length can be counted
> as banned :-D
>
>> and
>> banned urls like the one at http://blacklist.chongqed.org/
>
> Those change a lot, moreover, I have the idea that now and then "innocent
> URLs" are posted, just for testing. With my message length check off I got
> 10 messages in 3 hrs... (So I turned it back on).

That discussion about comment spam returns to life then.

You can never filter comment spam perfectly, but a good test will involve
frequency of hits, IP address(es), word occurrence, number of URL's, etc.
Even with all of these walls, some spam will continue to penetrate.
Luckily, I have not yet (knowingly) killed genuine comments. However, many
get queued for moderation, which is far from ideal. Stories in my front
page go into the archives (graveyard) after just a day and a half. By the
time a comment gets approved, the poster may not even know about it.

I sometimes get very odd comments, such as this one from this morning:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/06/28/google-earth/#comment-4804

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
  4:05am  up 22 days 16:19,  2 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.39, 0.41