Re: Tungsten E2 with Windows ME

  • Subject: Re: Tungsten E2 with Windows ME
  • From: TruckerAl <trucker@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:59:53 -0400
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.palm
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:08:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>__/ [Victor Roberts] on Saturday 24 September 2005 20:18 \__
>

>Tungsten T. Windows 98 is not too bad actually. It is rather "safe
>in the wild"m even without patching. Too bad I am giving away my old Windows
>98 laptop this Wednesday. It has served me since I was a high school
>student. I now have 3 powerful Linux boxes to replace that platform which
>weakens by the day.
>
>It is rather sad to see how Microsoft unintentionally committed suicide ever
>since Windows 95/98, which had all the necessary features (at the time!) and
>did not suffer from viruses. Yesterday it was said in the Wall Street
>Journal that Windows Vista needed to be re-built from scratch. It became a
>code jungle and the engineers could no longer maintain the complex code and
>have it run.

I hate to start off posting here by saying something nice about Windows (I'll
start by noting I replaced a Palm with a Palm despite my record of bad luck with
their poor hardware (apparently designed to die every 2 years or so, without
replaceable batteries, etc.) rather than fight through the bloat and insanity if
Wince, an appropriately named product if ever there was.

But skeptical that I was that anything would be better than 982nd, I found Win2K
a wonderful upgrade, and XP with the Bling turned off a real joy - in terms of
stability, etc.

It's still Windows, suffering from the Developer and Designer forcing its
collective will on You (anything called  My<whatever> is too cute for words and
deserves to die rught there with Barney and Hello Kitty and Bob.

It can still overload when given multiple tasks despite a GB of memory and 3GHz+
hyper-threaded CPU <my first computer was a PDP-8/I that had no trouble running
12 simultaneous jobs with a whole 16K of core and a 128Kword swapping disk. Now
it ran slow, but it didn't crash or die just because of one ill-behaved program
or throw up/lock up, take 15 minutes to come to its senses after being asked to
do more than it could do at the same moment>

But ditch 98 for either 2K Pro or XP Pro, now that the bugs are out, and plan to
use Vista 2nd ed (or SP 2) in your next machine, again with the BLING turned off
or at least set at a dull roar. <btw, My understanding is many of the "MYs" have
been dropped, Oh Thank You Great ones!)

Meanwhile - has aught been heard of the Linux on a Palm attempts or any place to
get Palm schematics?

			Trucker Al