Re: Using KNode 0.7.2, Wondering What Else is Out There

  • Subject: Re: Using KNode 0.7.2, Wondering What Else is Out There
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 10:36:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: news.software.readers
__/ [ XS11E ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 01:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> That's never a good sign. I am surprised because KDE seem to have
>> great momentum. I recently read that it was Pan where development
>> had gone dormant.
>
> I don't know, haven't run Linux for some time but I recall a year or
> two back I preferred Pan to Knode, later I got a newer copy of
> Mandrake/Mandriva/ThisWeeksNameHere and found the later Knode seemed as
> good or better to me than did Pan.
>
> Then I've gone back to XP and Xnews, neither Pan or Knode suited me
> anywhere near as well as Xnews and Linux doesn't work for me yet.
>
> If you do a Google search you'll find some folks have run Xnews on
> Linux, it might be worth a try?

I recently heard from a dedicated UseNetter (over 30,000 posts) that XNews
no longer serves him quite so well. This dispels a certain myth that XNews
is  a killer app for Windows, which makes Linux equivalents seem quite  so
objectionable.

If  I  walk through the tunnel of time and see myself working in  KNode  a
couple of years ago (same version), I'd be inclined to think the same way.
KNode  is  enormously  customisable, without the need to change  any  text
files.  You  need to unleash its full power by exploring. The last time  I
improved  KNode as a tool was 3 days ago. I probably use every single fea-
ture  of  KNode, or close to that. Many other clients are unable to  offer
the same convenience features.

The  only  wishlist item that I have at the moment is the ability to  feed
message  body to a script and then pipe the output to the message body.  I
currently  do this via an external editor and I rely on keyboard accelera-
tors (xbindkeys) to save some keystrokes. This particular script is a sort
of  a filter that justified and hyphenates messages using Perl, which  re-
lies  on a TeX component. If only I could automate this, I'd have the mes-
sages re-written more frequently.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 10:25am  up 25 days  0:08,  10 users,  load average: 1.35, 1.01, 0.84