Re: barebones n*x

  • Subject: Re: barebones n*x
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:03:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Matt Probert ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 08:18 \__

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:44:01 -0700, hug
> <contact_info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>"William Tasso" <SpamBlocked@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings One and All
>>>
>>>I'm looking to build a test rig containing very little software for a test
>>>suite.
>>>
>>>Any recommendations on a distro[1] that contains only barebones O/S and
>>>networking support?
>>>
>>>[1] or has a boot/install option that does same.
>>>Cheers
>>
>>Slackware perhaps.  There's a slackware distro that'll fit on a
>>floppy, but I'm not sure what it includes, probably more than one
>>would expect.  From there you can move up to more functionality.
>>

> I'll concur with that. Slackware, and then recompile the kernel to
> suit *just* the equipment you use, for example you may wish to dump
> the SCSI support.
>
> I used to use Slackware on a 386 with 4mB of RAM (not with X-Windows,
> mind you)

I'd actually suggest making a selection from the fine list:

        http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/

As a side note, some months ago I started an iffy thread, which I subject
lined "How to Improve This Group", referring to off-topic discussions that
carry on forever. Having increased my involvement in this group recently, I
am very pleased to have encountered a positive change and I look forward to
participate more often after Easter! AWW is one of the few groups on UseNet
that involves many intersting people and no immaturities.

Best wishes to all,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
 11:00am  up 25 days  0:43,  10 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.59, 0.71