Re: Site dropped to PR4

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 13:10:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ Paul B ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 13:04 \__
>
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:55:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [ Paul B ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 12:05 \__

>> Hi Roy
>>
>>>The number of referrals I get (related to rank) was axed by about a half
>>>last week. It was an overnight change which had no clear justification as I
>>>had changed nothing.
>>
>> I've no idea of mine as I never check. Or know how to.
>> As it's none commercial, i've never worried about such things,

>This can be helpful, trust me. AWstats has a rudimentary mechanism for
>per-search engines breakdown to and a monthly aggreagtion of numbers, which
>you can view every morning/evening/whatever. Visitors (0.6, Dmitri
>recommended it) gives a daily Zeitgest of Google referrals, which are rather
>important to me as they account for 20% of all traffic. Again, it's
>non-commercial, but if the referrals are there (and tracking of the numbers
>can flag mistakes or -- contrariwise -- doors to success), why not use it?

I use smarterstats. Sorry, I was confusing it with something else -
esp when you said it was related to ranking.

Most of my traffic comes from google.

>>> Number of indexed pages has not changed either.
>>> Has *yours*?
>>
>> I have not checked that for a long time, so I cannot give any info on
>> that.
>>
>> I have added a few more pages to the site, but nothing serious.
>
>There is another factor which is how many pages were indexed as opposed to
>"made available", i.e. uploaded. The more pages you have, the lower the
>PageRank, although it is dependent on front page structure (off- and on-site
>links). Doorway-like front page can pull a lot of 'energy'.

Yes, but adding a few deeper pages to a site that is already 4800+
isn't going to do much - if anything.
plh
paul
--