Re: Trying different distros, and playing with XP

  • Subject: Re: Trying different distros, and playing with XP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:58:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ray ] on Monday 03 April 2006 04:41 \__

> I suppose an MS system can be set up with enough shields in place to
> fairly well protect it. Your average user does not have the time and
> knowledge to set it up that way, and she should not have to. Linux is
> pretty much safe from the get go.

Upon closer inspection:

,----[ Quote ]
| "NASA World Wind leverages Microsoft .NET technology for rapid
| development and to easily access open standards such as XML, WMS,
| and other graphics standards. Real-time 3D graphics are driven by
| DirectX allowing a wide base of compatibility with accelerated
| video hardware.
|
| Primary data sources come from NASA, and TerraServer-USA of Microsoft
| Research."
`----

It is evident that Microsoft got them pegged and this possibly falls under
this category of Open Source projects that use the term loosely. I have
toured the many pages, but they don't appear to make the source available
either.

As regards .NET, there are tools to have it running under Linux (in due
time), but I don't know about DirectX. It seems like NASA, being a
governmental agency, screwed _big time_!

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) each 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 10:55am  up 26 days  0:38,  10 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.74, 0.64