Re: [News] Britain's Strongest Computers Do not Run Windows

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 03 April 2006 14:19 \__

> On Monday 03 April 2006 13:14 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> How do you KNOW it's not running Windows?
> Did I miss something?
>
> How do you know it's not Vista-ready?

I quickly checked out the Web sites, just to be more credible. The machine at
Manchester runs SGI stuff, which explains the amount of equipment they ship
to the loading bay.

Gates expressed intentions of getting into the supercomputing industry. That
was about 4-6 months ago and we all know what has happened since. Priorities
have definitely changed and developers jump from ship to ship,
metaphorically. On the face of it they can only 'game around', but not
deliver good desktop environments, stable servers, stable PDA's, let alone
distributed computing architectures. Linux handles all of the above reliably
and gains more popularity at the expense of UNIX (and derivatives), Solaris,
Symbian and so forth.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:35pm  up 26 days  5:18,  10 users,  load average: 2.71, 1.34, 0.84