Re: Sun Announces Open Source DRM Specifications

  • Subject: Re: Sun Announces Open Source DRM Specifications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 05:52:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 17 April 2006 09:25 \__

http://www.openmediacommons.org/news/03212006-omcworkshop_press_release.html

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Sun Microsystems hosted the first Open Media Commons (OMC) Workshop last
>>| week to further the community's goal of developing open, royalty-free
>>| digital rights management (DRM) and codec standards.
>> `----
>>
>> It may be evil, but better have access than remain 'outside'.
>
> An interesting turn of events in this most fascinating game.  How long
> can Media companies keep extending copyright, for example?

...As long as one player in the market continues to support this, others must
follow suit. Think for example about Google (XML) site maps and other
technologies that urge others to exploit them. It's an embrace or die^TM
situation. I can't recall who it was that said (while I was away) that Linux
must have DRM supported. Linus defies GPL version 3, possibly for that
reason.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
  5:45am  up 43 days 19:28,  7 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.96, 0.79