Re: Limit on Number of Links Per Page?

"Paul B" <lamewolf2004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hl99525vqoa2i4cb6uqg83bnaai8gh40jk@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:06:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I have come across this article which was published today.
>>
>>http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/4/prweb378960.htm
>>
>>To quote a particular part:
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| No sitemap - A sitemap is the search engine optimisation tool of choice
>>| to ensure every page within your website is indexed by all search
>>engines.
>>| You should link to your site map from, at least, your homepage but
>>| preferably from every page on your website. If your website contains
>>| hundreds of pages then split the sitemap into several categorised maps
>>| and link these all together. Try and keep the number of links per page
>>| on a sitemap to less than 100.
>>|
>>| Excessive links - Excessive links on a given page (Google recommends
>>| having no more than 100) can lower its relevance and, although it does
>>| not result in a ban, this does nothing for your search engine
>>| optimisation strategy.
>>|
>>`----
>>
>>Some time ago, someone in this group said this rule no longer stands. Is
>>this
>>correct? Would this limit the extent of crawling?
>>
>>Many thanks in advance for your time...
>
> Hi Roy
> That may be me.
> I didn't say that it no longer stands, but I have two sitemaps on my
> site. They have over 5000 links between the two.
> Both have PR 4

I see that quite often. There are considerations beyond volume of links to
consider. Google spits out a reasonable number in hopes of maintaining
theory own integrity. The 100 number is an indicator that most web sites
couldn't justify having more that 100 unique web pages. In cases where,
let's say 5,000 web pages are justified then factors like the authenticity,
optimization, popularity and uniqueness of those links play a more
significant role in determining PR value and SERP positioning for sitemap
web pages.

--
Fred
http://canadian-web-site-promotion.blogspot.com/