Re: window managers not working

  • Subject: Re: window managers not working
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:26:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Masood ] on Saturday 29 April 2006 12:57 \__

> I have installed SUSE Linux 10.0 as dual boot with Win XP and using for
> the past one week.
> when i  installed IceWM and openbox  window managers from the SUSE
> Linux CDs and tried to login  after a restart I am simply not able to
> login through any window manager not even my default KDE.
> Only failsafe login works.
>
> any one who can get me out of this problem.
>
> Thanks  in Advance
> Masood Syed

What are the error message/s that you get? Is any error message visible? If
not, then in failsafe mode, log in as 'root' with the root (administrator)
password.

,----[ Command ]
| less /var/log/messages
`----

Scroll down to the bottom? Can you spot the error? Is is potentially X, which
is responsible for graphical look-and-feel? Window managers depend on it. Is
your login screen graphical or text-based? Try looking at the log file of X,
e.g.:

,----[ Command ]
| less /var/log/XFree86.0.log
`----

(note that filenames may vary)

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Please remember to quote when replying. Select "more options" in Google
Groups.

--
Foo bar
  6:20pm  up 2 days  1:25,  13 users,  load average: 1.00, 0.79, 0.72