Re: [News] Polls: Linux and OpenOffice Viable alternatives to Windows and Office

__/ [ M ] on Saturday 29 April 2006 16:19 \__

> ray wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:18:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> * Linux desktop a viable alternative to Windows
>>>
>>>                 http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4067/53/
>>>
>>> "Will Linux will ever be a serious challenger to Windows on the desktop?"
>>> 66 answered yes and 34 answered no, providing an almost two to one
>>> response in favour of Linux.
>>>

>>> * Microsoft Office users ready to jump ship
>>>
>>>                 http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4054/53/
>>>
>>> "Would you try Open Office.org instead of buying MS Office 2003?"  Of the
>>> 441 respondents which voted in the space of 18 hours, 381 (86.4%) voted
>>> yes while just 60 (13.6%) voted no.
>>
>> IMHO - Linux and OO are not viable alternatives to MS. They are superior
>> alternatives to MS.
>
> Having now used linux for over 5 months, I think I would have to agree with
> you. It also seems to be moving forward quite nicely too.

This morning I read about a new campaign that is being initiated. Its heading
is "Why OpenOffice" and it targets directly all of these mindless critiques,
primarily those referring to performance of OpenOffice upon Windows (i.e.
not comparing apples with apples).

I am a big fan of OpenOffice even though I rarely use it (I prefer and am
required to use LaTeX).

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/19/openoffice-cheaper/

        OpenOffice 150 Times Cheaper than Microsoft Office?

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/01/11/office-comparison/

        OpenOffice and Microsoft Office Comparison