Re: email from web form to host email server - secure?

  • Subject: Re: email from web form to host email server - secure?
  • From: "William Tasso" <SpamBlocked@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:42:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Fleeing from the madness of the schestowitz.com / MCC / Manchester University jungle
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stumbled into news:alt.www.webmaster
and said:

If I understand your correctly, you want form E-mails to originate on the
host's domain and remain there only for yourself and your host to have
access to. I believe you will be on the safe side because messages sent to
one's own domain do not hop onto third parties daemons. They are being
delivered directly to the local box.

One shouldn't rely on that as gospel - in fact this is a very inneficient configuration. Mail should live on a mail server allowing the web server(s) to get on with the task of serving web documents. However, it is unlikely [*]that anyone except the host/isp/admin will be able to intercept packets running between the two servers.

[*] meaning one shouldn't rely on this either. when it comes to security/confidentiality ... assume nothing.
--
William Tasso

http://williamtasso.com/words/what-is-usenet.asp