Re: SuSE on a laptop

  • Subject: Re: SuSE on a laptop
  • From: William Poaster <willpoast@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:38:24 +0100
  • Desktop: KDE 3.5.2 Level "a"
  • Leafnode: Ver 1.11.3.rel-2
  • Linux-registered-user: 305646
  • Machine: #1, Drive #1
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Note: I ONLY post through Giganews
It was on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:48:36 +0100 when Roy Schestowitz posted
this:

> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Friday 28 April 2006 13:32 \__
>
>> It was on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:58:21 +0100 when Roy Schestowitz posted
>> this:
>>
>>> __/ [ Malware Magnet ] on Friday 28 April 2006 07:37 \__

>>> Something tells me that SuSE is /probably/ the second most popular
>>> distribution on the laptop, only topped by Ubuntu. Novell are providing
>>> documentation with instructions for a variety of laptops, for those
>>> where manual intervention is needed and somebody else did the
>>> 'homework'. Try searching Novell.com for your laptop model if you ever
>>> want to read about somebody else's experience. Then, of course, there
>>> is the Linux on the Laptop Web site.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Roy
>>
>> As a sort of aside, according to the poll here:
>>
> http://linux.about.com/gi/pages/poll.htm?poll_id=4113693387&linkback=http://linux.about.com/library/bl/dist/bldist_poll.htm
>>
>> So far, SuSE is the most popular distro in 2006!
>>
>> Ubuntu 21%
>>
>> Mandriva 2%
>>
>> SuSE 27%
>>
>> Fedora 22%
>>
>> Debian 11%
>>
>> Gentoo 1%
>>
>> Slackware 5%
>>
>> Others 5%
>
> Don't forget that SuSE is an enterprise-type distribution. Most
> frequently, in the commercial scene you have desktops, servers, and
> routers.

I've used SuSE for around 10 years, & find it easy to use, though I admit
I've never tried installing it on a laptop. It does (or rather KDE does),
however, have laptop utilities...but as I don't need them, I don't install
them.

> Laptops are more of a personal property which people take home
> and have full ownership of. Ubuntu addresses these needs. It is also not
> particularly aimed at tasks like Web hosting although Ubuntu for servers
> exists (something to that effect) and you can also install the needed
> packages as a type of addon, through Synaptic. I guess that Ubuntu is,
> after all, Linux for the Human Being. Only a week ago, the guy who sat
> next to me at the airport was using Ubuntu on his laptop.

I don't have a laptop (yet), though my 'Merkan other-half has one & she
stripped XP out of it, & installed win2k instead (for work). I may be able
to persuade her to let me install SuSE on it one day. <grin>

--
WARNING! Do not drive your
vehicle after using Windows.