Re: [News] Google Promote Firefox, Again

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 11:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 10:22 \__
>>
>>> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/23155
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>> It's worth adding that there is a more serious initiative at:
>>
>> http://www.explorerdestroyer.com/
>
> I found this interesting:
>
> # Features
> #
> # o Script autodetects IE
> # o Displays switch splash screen to IE users
> # o Switches people to Firefox
> # o Three levels of seriousness
> # o Google gives you referral money for switches
>
> and remarkably
>
> # o Infuriates Microsoft
>
> I think Google is taking a stab, seeing how there has been a lot of rivalry
> going on.

Windows Vista will have MSN search bars. Windows (MSN) Messenger and Internet
Explorer may not be the only territory affected. The EC has smelt this
already:

Vista operating system could break antitrust rules

,----[ Quote ]
| He (Todd) highlighted Vista's integrated Internet search, digital rights
| management and software that would create fixed document formats
| comparable to Adobe's pdf.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060329/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_microsoft

Google are being self-defensive if you ask me. Following the RealNetworks and
Netscape fiasco, they must be cautious. Microsoft have reasons to be
vicious, too:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/04/24/77701_HNsearchmarketshare_1.html

        MSN's search market share dropped from 14 percent to 11 percent

Prepare for some Google-Microsoft lawsuits over exploitation of a monopoly on
the desktop.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
 11:45am  up 3 days 20:56,  9 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.69, 0.71