Re: [News] Office Password Protection Broken by OpenOffice

  • Subject: Re: [News] Office Password Protection Broken by OpenOffice
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:57:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Robert Newson ] on Tuesday 25 April 2006 22:49 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft has played down a feature in open source rival OpenOffice.org
>> | that removes some password protection on Office applications.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | John McCreesh, marketing project co-lead for OpenOffice.org, said that
>> | the removal of protection passwords from Excel files was a feature of
>> | Calc, not a bug.
>
> Feature:- Bug as described by the marketing Department[1]
>
> [1] An Apple ][ manual glossary definition

Gates /et al./ were always able to sell the computer with CTRL+ALT+Delete,
which of course was a feature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete

   "I may have invented Control-Alt-Delete, but Bill [Gates] made it famous"

Could BSoD also be called a feature? Call in the spin doctors.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
  2:50am  up 3 days 12:01,  8 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.49, 0.61