Re: [News] .NET Applications Run on Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] .NET Applications Run on Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:36:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:16:29 +0100
> <54583234.DuGV3OUEmr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/12/1921225
>>
>> ,----[ Introduction ]
>> | Mono is an open source project (sponsored by Novell) that allows you to
>> | run .Net applications on Linux (as well as Unix, Mac OS X, Solaris and
>> | even Windows). To obtain it, go to the Mono download page and find
>> | the version you need for your distro.
>> `----
>
> This is *news*?  It's been able to run, at least partially
> (because some of the APIs are proprietary), .NET stuff
> for awhile now. :-)  In fact, Mono 1.2 is in beta now.

As I said to Black Dragon yesterday, I feel "awkward" (that's the word I
impulsively used) prepending [News] to such items which, while new (as in
"recently published"), they are not always news and are sometimes opinions,
too.

> The developer needs a little work to compete with Eclipse but
> the compiler works, last I checked.
>
> Cool stuff in some respects although I for one hope that Mono, or the
> runtime underneath it, can have a runtime optimizer similar to Java's.

It will probably come as it matures.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  2:30am  up 3 days 11:41,  8 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.66, 0.73