Re: [News] Cell Processor Running Yellow Dog Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 01 August 2006 08:56 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Cell-based coprocessor card runs Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Mercury Computer is sampling a PCI-Express add-in card powered by a
>>| Cell processor running Yellow Dog Linux.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6832279023.html
>

> This is a very very interesting development;  it gives one great big
> clue about where the computing world is going, and shed more light on my
> view that the PC is dead and we're looking through the glass into a new
> computing world.

I'd still argue that large peripherals and augmented displays are the way to
go if you seek good productivity levels. Input can probably be replaced by
voice recognition (still needs stronger-yet-small CPU's); displays can
possibly be replaced by head-mounted displays that makes full use of the
entire field of vision; lastly, high-bandwidth connections seem to be little
of a hindrance at the moment. If you get a mouse-like device (glove or
gyro-devices), then you could even surf the Web, write messages and play
games while waking up and down the street. Fascinating yet worrisome effect
on humanity...

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
  9:05am  up 11 days 21:20,  11 users,  load average: 1.16, 1.22, 0.99