Re: [News] Nigeria Embraces OLPC by Purchaing One Million Linux Laptops

  • Subject: Re: [News] Nigeria Embraces OLPC by Purchaing One Million Linux Laptops
  • From: OK <otto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 05:17:00 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:37:16 -0700, John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>7 wrote:
>
>> (On a more serious note, I really hope they didn't fall for
>>  a nigerian scam.
>>
>>  The whole OLPC project seems to be run on a knife edge
>>  with figures being banded about and publicity being
>>  banded about. The $150 PC is already available in India
>>  and continually going down in cost.
>>  The OLPC is now set to cost $130.
>>  I just hope no one is buying into a white elephant to
>>  be tricked out of money, hardware and wasted software
>>  efforts at a later date.
>> )
>>

>Remember, Nigeria is an oil producer.
>
>At $70 a barrel, that's two barrels of oil per laptop per child.
>
>Nigerian daily oil output: 2.5 million barrels.
>
>So figure,
>
>(2Barrels x 10M laptops) / (2.5M barrels/day)
>
>They should have their laptops bought and paid for in 8 days...

..assuming they actually order them someday. It's just *vapor*, as we
speak.

"[Updated Aug. 1, 2006 -- This story was modified to eliminate the
impression given by the original wording that firm, written, legally
binding "orders" had been placed by any of the four countries
listed.]"

"We have not finalized the deal with the Nigerian government yet"

"We are actively moving ahead with Brazil, Argentina and Thailand..."

http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS7131519895.html