Re: [News] Why One Million Linux Laptops in Nigeria Will Make a Difference

John Bailo wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Nigerians fed up with 'junk' PC trade
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Basel Action Network, an American NGO, published a report recently in
>> | which it said that some 500 containers of 400 000 second-hand computers
>> | are emptied monthly in Apapa seaport in Lagos.
>> `----
>
> Shouldn't they be able to redeem the Windows licenses from those
> jalopy-ware PCs?
>

>>                 http://cooltech.iafrica.com/features/832532.htm

The M$ EULA takes care of that - as does their unwritten rule that a new
license is required should the hardware change hands (derived from the EULA
which states that the license is nontransferable). Technically, this means
that a new license would be required on a preinstalled box when it is sold
through a retailer.

In short: Microsoft screws everybody.
Maybe they should try operating in Soviet Russia. Where megacorps get
screwed by the consumers! (Hey, I like the sound of that, when's the next
flight?)
--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.