Re: [News] An Operating System That Advertises and Spies on Users

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Friday 04 August 2006 12:55 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The Ad-Supported Operating System
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=738
>>
>> Some time ago I read that Windows Vista's logon screen will contain ads.
>>
>> Meanwhile, based on a phonecall this morning, my dad has become fed up
>> with Windows and WGA.
>
> Those ads sound unpalatable.  Just what I need, another spam generating
> operating system.

My  mother  never knew how to protect her computer  (to  say
more  on "protect", why should it even be active, as opposed
to  passive, i.e. security as an additional 'feature' rather
than  a  trait).  I have already told her that  it  must  be
spewing SPAM all the time (it grinds to a halt or becomes as
slow  as  hell  quite immediately, malware appears  just  10
minutes after reinstallation), so for the benefit of society
she must upgrade to Linux.

>> He already uses Fox and Thunderbird. He asked me if Microsoft runs Web
>> sites and spies on the visitors. I showed him Ubuntu last year.
>
> What does your father think of Ubuntu?

I  haven't made the effort to change his O/S. He's the  type
of  person  who  asks  rather  than  using  the  manual  and
patiently  learning.  He saw the O/S from afar though.  It's
sad  that the time will be right only when he gets fed up to
the  point of misery. Microsoft is taking this a step closer
to  the  edge.  Many  recent moves were  suicidal  for  that
panicky  company.  And  customers  suffer  along  with   the
company.