Re: [News] An Operating System That Advertises and Spies on Users

__/ [ alt ] on Friday 04 August 2006 18:43 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> The Ad-Supported Operating System
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| By now most people who are interested in operating systems have
>>| probably had a chance to hear about the possibility of an
>>| ad-supported version of Windows. Without knowing all the details it
>>| would seem that this would allow for an operating system which would
>>| be available for a reduced price and would feature some form of
>>| advertising built into a user's normal work patterns. It is hard to
>>| speculate whether this might be free, but it stands to reason that it
>>| would be an alternative to a full-priced, ad-free version.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| The question of privacy will become enormously more important as
>>| advertisers want increasing amount of targeting information about
>>| users in order to make their advertisements more effective.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=738
>>
>> Some time ago I read that Windows Vista's logon screen will contain
>>
>> Meanwhile, based on a phonecall this morning, my dad has become fed up
>> with Windows and WGA. He already uses Fox and Thunderbird. He asked me
>> if Microsoft runs Web sites and spies on the visitors. I showed him
>> Ubuntu last year.
>>

> My boss exclaimed the following yesterday:
>
> "God damnit! We should just replace this with Linux"
>
> (He was referring to his Laptop).

How old is he? When a man near his retirement yells out these words, that
means tipping point is here. *smile* Young rebelious folks are another
matter altogether. So, did you give him a hand (with a Live CD or Linux on a
USB stick)?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  7:05pm  up 15 days  7:20,  8 users,  load average: 2.10, 1.31, 0.90