Re: Linux Enters Software Market, 90% Less in Terms of Cost

  • Subject: Re: Linux Enters Software Market, 90% Less in Terms of Cost
  • From: "billwg" <billwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:02:29 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1154796871.593617.324940@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> billwg wrote:
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/EyhRbILVwY4FG9/Linux-Improves-Footing-in-Software-Market.xhtml
>>
>> "Except for computer hobbyists, Linux has no presence in the consumer
>> market."
>
> Which numbers are you counting?
> It's very true that nearly 100% of all of the computer sold by the "Top
> 5" computer manufacturers, especially those sold in the United States,
> are sold with Windows preinstalled.

Probably the top 100 computer manufacturers, rex, if there are that many.
Certainly all of them, though.

> Since this means that nearly all of those machines that do run Linux
> have Linux installed after-market, I guess you could classify them as
> "hobbiests".

Or worse, rex, or worse!  LOL!!!

> Since about 150 million PCs were configured with Linux this year
> (ending August 1), I guess that's a lot of "Hobbiests".

That your guess?

>> No kidding.
>
> Of course, of those 150 million PCs, most of them still have Windows in
> some form, whether that's emulation such as WINE, coresidency like Xen,
> or Virtual Machines like VMWare or Bochs.

Well, at the end of the day, that is all that counts, rex.  Whether people
use their Windows machines to try out linux or not, as long as they buy it
with Windows, who cares?

> And then there are those 200 million "appliances" sold with Linux,
> including Cable TV tuners, TiVo boxes, cable modems, VOIP units, WiFi
> hubs, Routers, and LAN Drives.

Any toasters?  What difference does that make?

> Granted, it's only about $100-$200 per box, and there is no display
> attached, but Linux is becoming pervasive in the home and office.

So is 60Hz AC, rex, but there is not much interest in the marketing of that.

> Don't worry though, Virtual PC should make it much easier to run Linux
> under Windows, and Xen will make it much easier to run Windows and
> Linux "side-by-side".

Asw long as Windows is there, who cares?

> Perhaps in the next 12 months, we'll see Linux deployed on another 200
> million PCs.  But all of those PCs will still be licensed for Windows.

Outstanding!