Re: Linux Newbie has a few questions

  • Subject: Re: Linux Newbie has a few questions
  • From: flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 00:39:17 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 03:26:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Hi Eddie,
>
> One advice many would give you is to have some guides available. You can read
> them when time permits and gain knowledge that will stay with you for life.

Yea, kinda like herpes.

> You neglected to mention which Linux distribution you are using. Linux
> programs are packaged to be deplayed on a large number of architectures (as
> opposed to, e.g. a strict 32-bit, x86 setting). This means that they will be
> optimised, performance-wise, to your hardware. It sounds as though you have
> downloaded a program that can either be:

What did I tell you?

Here comes the distribution dance and with 350+ and growing daily,
different distributions you have a lot of *choice*.

> * Source code, which needs to be compiled.

Geek.....

> Example for the former case: Thunderbird, Firefox and Opera will, in
> most cases, require you to click on this tar.gz (or .tgz) archive and
> then drag the contents onto the location where you want it installed.
> Sometimes there will also be an installation file (executable). As for
> the latter case, it is sometimes an implication that the software is not
> yet ready for 'prime time'. Sometimes.

The understatement of the year.

Ask yourself this Eddie, when was the last time you got something for free
that was actually worth anything?

> It would be hard to bog down to specifics unless you name the
> distribution that you use. In Ubuntu, fort example, all one needs to do
> is tick boxes, which makes it all easier than Windows (no need to search
> for software over the Web).

350+ distributions Ediie.

Ask yourself, why are their so many versions of Linux?

Choice Eddie.

it's all about choice...

> Have a look under SAMBA options. Nowadays, it should only be a matter of
> enabling share and then selecting which directories you want shared on
> the local network.

Something that *just works with Windows*.

Google Samba Ediie and see how many webpages are devoted toward trying to
make Samba work.

People have been trying to make Samba work for years.

It still doesn't.

> Assuming the peripherals are not Linux-hostile, they will most likely
> work 'out of the box'. While Windows often requires drivers to be pulled
> from vendor CD's, Linux already contains these drivers. They can, in
> other cases, be found on the vendor's Web site.

"Assuming the peripherals are not Linux-hostile"

The understatement of the year.

Eddie, most hardware *IS* Linux hostile.

Ever heard the term *Windows hostile* ?

I didn't think so.

> My external hard-drive (300GB Seagate) come with a Windows filesystem
> 'out of the box'. Linux has no problems reading from and writing to it.
> There is no peril there and there shouldn't be a need to re-format the
> drive (depends on its interfaces).

Key word "shouldn't"

Linux zealots love to use words like that.

>> 5.which bootloader is better Grub or Lilo ?
>

> I use Grub, but it makes little or no difference because it's a 1-second
> routine. Choose whatever is there...

Notice he didn't answer your question.

Linux zealots are like that.

It's all about choice Eddie, however when the choice is between 350+
different versions of Linux, a little bell should go off in your head and
say "something is wrong here"

And it is, Eddie, it is.